Title: Category Manager – Retail
Area: Edenvale / Boksburg
|Purpose of the role
To manage a category of products for our company. Responsible for the visual merchandising, pricing and overall promotion of the product category in order to maximize customer appeal.
Understanding of customer needs
- Analyse market insights to determine industry and customer trends.
- Working knowledge of buying practices, retail environment.
- Foster an engaging, interactive and satisfying relationship with customers.
Buying of Products
- Based on the customer needs, identify suppliers for the products.
- Negotiate cost effective prices with vendors and suppliers.
- Ordering of products based on quality, convenience and price.
- Ensure product availability and accessibility.
- Assume responsibility of budget development and revenue for product category.
- Foster trust relationships with vendors and suppliers to achieve better prices and quality of products.
- Determine the positioning of a product category to maximise visibility.
- Planning and inventory control.
- Optimise sales for a range of products.
- Liaise with sales consultants to determine competitive prices and promotional activities of a product.
- Devise long term development strategies for product categories.
- Develop exit strategies for unsuccessful products.
- Collaborate with buyers and merchandisers to expand product categories.
The successful candidate should have the following skills, experience and attributes:
A degree in business administration or marketing related
- Proven experience as a buyer, product or category manager in retail
- Solid knowledge of category management, marketing and sales principles
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting methods
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Logical thinking with a strategic ability
- Ability to lead and influence
- Negotiation skills
- Relationship management
- Self-confident and hardworking
- Team player who is also comfortable in working as an individual